Queen Esther

Queen Esther
And who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this? ~ Esther 4:14

Sunday, December 10, 2017

A Compassionate Heart

Sometimes the pain that can accompany adversity can be pretty brutal, and for empathetic people who feel things deeply for others - whether it be family or friends - it can be particularly brutal.
When I am witnessing the painful adversity of a child, a brother, a relative, or a close friend, my heart literally aches and my entire being grieves for them. Whether the trial is something that just happens or is one of their own making, my spirit still grieves for them. Sometimes the pain in their behalf is so intense, I find myself sorrowing in my heart more than I do in my own times of adversity. I could ask myself why, but I already know, and I'm good with the answer, and I know the Lord approves. There is a reason for that.

Though it isn't possible to fully understand the depth of the Savior's suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane when the sins and pains of the world were laid upon His shoulders, each time we open our hearts to the pain and suffering of others and love them with pure hearts, we are sharing our Savior's love with them, and in turn, having our own vision of what Christ did for each of us in the Garden and on the cross illuminated a tiny bit at a time.

Christ did not come to the earth just for himself, and neither did we. Christ's heart was always full of compassion, His bowels always full of mercy for others. We should possess those same attributes. They should shine from within us.

I don't like experiencing the pain of adversity in behalf of loved ones because it is too painful . . . but I will take it and love them for it.
Because the Savior did no less for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment