Queen Esther

Queen Esther
And who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this? ~ Esther 4:14

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Longing for Home

This is another one of my favorite C.S. Lewis quotes, or a variation of it.
There are times when we all experience moments of quiet longing that nothing in this world seems to satisfy. We sometimes try to fill this longing with earthly things - money, material possessions, shallow companionship, meaningless relationships, addiction. Yet if we really understood this longing and the source from which it comes, our focus for satisfaction would shift from the things of this world to the things of heaven.

The longing of which I speak is a longing for a home we can't remember, for the peace of being in the presence of a loving Heavenly Father. That longing is a yearning for the peace that comes with the loving presence of the Savior, a yearning to see Him and be with Him again - to see His face and feel His welcoming embrace.

I feel that longing every single day. I awaken with it, and I go to sleep with it. I long to be with my Father again, and I long for my Savior's return, to see His face, and to know that with His triumphant coming, all evil will be abolished.
Even still, as much as I long for the things of heaven to find me on this earth, there are still so many things to be done, and there is still time to do them. There are people to be loved, taught, and brought to Christ. There are still brothers and sisters to serve, lost ones to find, and lives to bless.

Yes, there is much darkness in this world, but there is also light. That light is the light of Christ shining in every open mind and heart. In some, it may only be a spark, but with loving hearts and hands reaching out to share their own light, that spark can burn brighter and brighter, and aid in the relighting of the dark areas of this world.

So, during the moments when those strong, quiet longings for something beyond this life hit, may we let the longings swell and work within us, then allow them to help us in the work of preparing for our true home.

No comments:

Post a Comment