Queen Esther

Queen Esther
And who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this? ~ Esther 4:14

Sunday, May 29, 2016

What Legacy Will You Leave?



With tomorrow being Memorial Day, this morning I find myself pondering the people who have come and gone in my life and the impact their presence had on me.


When I think of my mother, I remember her loving ways and her amazing talents. Despite her life-long bout with alcoholism, she was truly a good person and did her best to be a good mother to us. Yes, she had weaknesses just like everyone else, but fortunately, I am not her judge, nor would I ever wish to be, and Christ understood perfectly how she felt and what she was going through at the time, because he felt it too.

When I think about the father I had just barely begun to know before his life was brutally taken, I remember his beautiful smile and his desire to overcome his drug addiction and live a better life.

When I think about my precious grandmother, I remember her kindness, patience, unconditional love, and unwavering devotion to her Lord and Savior. (I also remember the recipes she taught me that never included measurements.)

When I think of my grandfather, I remember picking plums with him from their huge backyard tree, getting my hair caught in the branches, and my grandfather lovingly coming to my rescue. He was a great man.

When I think about my father's mother and both my great-grandmothers, I remember their strengths and ability to overcome trials and opposition.

Each and every one of these people were very dear to me and their presence in my life helped to make me who I am. Though all were dealt painful blows in their lives, they all took part in the legacy left for me, and I want to do all I can to make them proud and let them know that legacy was not left in vain.

I can't help but think of my children. What kind of legacy will I leave for them? What will they remember about me?
Will they remember me being a good mother? A good wife to their dad? A good daughter of God? A good person?
I sure hope so. I hope that at the end of my life, they, as well as anyone else I have come in contact with, can look back and say, "She did good. She lived her best life."

I just had a thought. (At my age, hormonal emotional moments tend to come and go:-)) Every single tear I have ever shed or ever will shed in this life is worth it, but in the end, the ones that will mean the most are the refining ones. Tears over family, tears born of mourning and grief for others, tears born of the pure love of Christ. That's what I want to leave with my family, and with all of you.
And I pray with all my heart that when my time on this earth is finally done, I can stand before my Father in Heaven and hear Him say, "Well done!"

So, what legacy will you leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment