Queen Esther

Queen Esther
And who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this? ~ Esther 4:14

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Why I Pray

"I pray because I can’t help myself. I pray because I’m helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, waking and sleeping. It doesn’t change God, it changes me." ~CS Lewis

Without a doubt, this is my favorite C.S. Lewis quote because it is describes perfectly, where I am in my life now. I find myself praying throughout the day, every few minutes
or so over one thing or another. It's a constant action that can't be helped.

I pray for my family, for my ward, for my neighbors, and for the world. I pray for myself - for the courage to face the coming times and the strength to make it through all that will be placed before me. I pray for the Lord's divine guidance in my life and to know God's will for me.

Because I know how important controlling our thoughts are, I pray constantly for help in letting virtue garnish my thoughts unceasingly ( that one is uttered every 30 seconds, it seems) and I'm continually asking to be forgiven for un-Christlike thoughts. Every night, I think on the day and wonder if I've done or said anything to offend anyone, and I ask for forgiveness, because it will bug me until I get that squared away in my mind.

I pray, I pray, I pray, and sometimes I pray so much, I'm exhausted. But I don't think there is a better reason for exhaustion:-) Mainly, I pray because I love my Heavenly Father, and since I haven't had an earthly father that I could truly be close to and share that nurturing father/daughter relationship with, my heart is full of gratitude for the privilege of being able to speak to my Heavenly Father any time I need to for as long as I need to, knowing He is always listening intently, even when I think what I have to say may not be that important. It is important to Him.

What we have to say is always important to God.

This is why I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment